Campbellsville is located in the heart of Kentucky and we are proud of our small town heritage. The city was founded in 1817 and laid out by Andrew Campbell, who had moved there from Augusta County, Virginia. Campbell owned a gristmill and a tavern and began selling lots in Campbellsville in 1814. Campbellsville was designated by the state legislature as the county seat in 1848 after Taylor County was separated from Green County. The city agreed to sell the public square to the county for one dollar so that a courthouse could be built here.
For more information regarding the history of Campbellsville, Contact the Hiestand House Museum and the Taylor Regional Archive Center at (270) 789-4343.